Now, those facing the issues with their eyesight have got a very feasible and viable solution to fix it popularly, known as LASIK. LASIK is an acronym for Laser-Assisted-In-Situ Keratomileusis which is also known as refractive surgery or Lasik eye surgery.
The procedure of these vision correction surgeries includes reshaping the Cornea in a way to make sure that light travels through it properly to make a clear focus on the retina. Still there a lot of different methods to perform this surgery depending on the type of eye disorder. So, let us brief you about them:
- The first kind of Lasik eye surgery that we are going to discuss is performed to treat the problem of nearsightedness, farsightedness or astigmatism. This surgery includes reshaping the tissues under cornea. This is done to let the retina focus the light properly. For that, the doctors usually make a flap under the cornea to reach the underlying tissues.Also, the doctors make use of the Wavefront technology in it. In this method, they use computer imaging to create a customized image of your visual system so that it can be treated accordingly.
- Next is PRK, or photorefractive keratectomy. The intensity of eye disorder differs in every person which is the reason they are prescribed different surgeries. The next surgery that we are going to discuss is performed to treat moderate nearsightedness, farsightedness, or astigmatism. In this surgery also, the doctor would reshape the Cornea only and would not touch the underneath tissues. In this treatment, use of wavelength technology is totally optional.
- Third in the category is LASEK or laser epithelial keratomileusis. This is again a similar surgery but for an even milder disorder. Here, the doctor would use an alcoholic solution to loosen the tissues under cornea and at the same time reshape the Cornea using Laser.
- Another kind of these surgeries includes RLE or refractive lens exchange. The procedure of this surgery is quite similar to that of Cataract surgery. The procedure would include making a cut in the Cornea and removing the natural lens which would be replaced by a silicone or plastic lens. This surgery has opted for those who have extreme farsightedness or nearsightedness. It works best for those people who might face certain issues in other kinds of surgeries due to thin corneas or dry eyes. A LASIK or LASIK-related procedure can be combined with RLE to correct astigmatism.
- Epi-LASEK: In this surgery, an alcoholic solution is put in the Cornea to separate a thin film of tissue from it. Now, the Cornea is reshaped with the help of laser and the treated area is protected with a soft contact lens to hold that flap in place while it heals.
- PRELEX: Now, there are certain patients who face an eerie problem with their eyesight regarding its flexibility. In this case, the natural lens of the eye is replaced with a multifocal lens.
- Phakic IOL or ICL: This surgery is sorted for people who have acute nearsightedness. In this surgery, the Doctor attaches the artificial lens to your iris or inserts it behind your pupil while the natural lens stays in place.
- AK or astigmatic keratotomy. In the case of astigmatism, the shape of the Cornea is deformed. The doctor attempts to correct it by making incisions at the steepest part of your cornea. This helps to regain its perfect shape.